Free to Be…You and Me
Overview of planning and execution process for this project
In July and August we created lesson plans to share with schools that might be interested in having our tour performance. These plans were sent through Google Drive to the local principals to be shared with their staff. A letter was included that explained the project, the performance and possible dates for our tour.
In September 2017 we began rehearsing the vocals of the musical in choir classes, the scenes in drama class and the accompaniment in band class. We incorporated the music into lesson planning once a week. We also sent the lesson plans and copies of Free To Be You and Me to each school that we were touring to.
In January 2018-March 2018 we rehearsed more intensely each day and prepared for our touring performances during Music In Our Schools Month (March). We solidified dates for our tour and confirmed busing. Our principal used his fund to nance the two busses and also our tour T-shirts.
March 17-18-20-22, 2018: We toured to North End Elementary School, South End Elementary School (Cedar Grove, NJ) Verona Elementary Schools (Forest Elementary and Laning Elementary), Katharine D. Malone Elementary in Rockaway, NJ and a nal community performance at Cedar Grove High School on March 22 at 7 PM. We had a reception sponsored by the Cedar Grove Education Association and hosted by Cedar Grove High School Music Matters.
Another link to materials and documents:
Sponsors/charities/volunteers/ other groups involved in the project and the benefits to each.
- New Jersey Education Association PRIDE: Community Organizing Grant Program
- Cedar Grove Education Association
- Cedar Grove High School Music Matters
- Cedar Grove High School Rick Mangili: Principal fund for T-shirts and busing
- St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital: Final performance donations to go to St. Jude’s
Specific Budget Breakdown
- We had to apply for the rights to Free To Be You and Me from the Rodgers and Hammerstein library. Once we had the quote, we applied for the grant.
- Rental Materials for Free To Be You and Me: $420
- Royalty: $525
- Performance fees: $525
- Total: $1,545.00
- Custom Ink T-shirts: $632.14 paid by our principal fund
- Bus Transportation: $1,355.00