Annual Community Veterans Day Ceremony
The Leyden High Schools are located at runway’s edge of Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport. They are truly a melting pot port of entry to the American Dream, with over 40 languages spoken in the homes of our families served. Annually, our Music Department students (band, choir, orchestra, and color guard) give a Community Veterans Day Ceremony performance. The ceremony incorporates nearly 300 students. Additionally, a number of Veterans representing the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Viet Now, plus our civic First Responder heroes (police officers and firefighters) are also actively involved in the ceremony. This involvement includes a procession of colors, reading orations over music beds, enacting ceremonies such as the Fire Fighters’ Bell Ringing Ceremony, the Battle Field Cross and POW/MIA Table presentations, etc., to appropriate patriotic music. This event is well attended each year and has become a staple of our community’s efforts to befittingly honor our Home Town Heroes for their service.
Overview of planning and execution process for this project
Sponsors/charities/volunteers/ other groups involved in the project and the benefits to each.
- has empowered our students to the meaningful contributions and impact they can make
- has heightened their civic awareness
- has brought together many people through shared beliefs and aspirations for what our community
- has brought recognition and honor to our Home Town Hero Veterans and First Responders
- has introduced many community members to our Leyden Music Department who would have never otherwise been aware of the great things our kids are striving to do