Richland Two Roadshow
Overview of planning and execution process for this project
A sample day schedule is provided below:
- Middle Elementary School Date Elem. Teacher Related Arts Time
- Blythewood Middle Round Top Elem. 2/12 Canty 9:20-10:10
- Blythewood Middle Catawba Trail Elem. 2/12 Burbank 11:00-111:50
- Blythewood Middle Joseph Keels Elem. 2/12 Perkins 1:10-2:00
Once the Roadshow performance takes place, now it is time to have parents and students sign-up online for sixth-grade music. The link is uploaded to the district website where students and parents can easily access and complete the form without the fear of losing a piece of paper or the paper never getting home. The brochure and application are printed for those who do not have internet access and are also provided in Spanish for our English language Learners. Equitable access is important to us as we strive to help students find their passion in music. As the spring semester progresses, schools are sent updates with the number of students who have signed up for each of the programs. Applications are due the end of March. The last two weeks of school, the Fine Arts Coordinator sends each middle school principal and School Counseling office a list of their rising sixth graders who have signed up for Band, Chorus, Orchestra, and/or Dance. Once all Roadshows are complete, a survey is used to gather data for reflection. lastly, the Roadshow committee meets to go over data and make needed changes for the following year.
Specific Budget Breakdown
- Bus Voucher# 13*** (Muller Road Roadshow) 2/2/2019 $ 238.28
- Bus Voucher# 13*** (Summit Parkway Roadshow) 2/5/2019 $ 162.06
- Bus Voucher# 13*** (Blythewood MS Roadshow) 2/12/2019 $ 214.28
- Bus Voucher# 13*** – Bus ID# 52366 (Dent’s Roadshow)2/26/2019 $ 169.21
- Bus Voucher# 1***7 (E.L Wright Roadshow) 2/27/2019 $ 166.81
- Bus Volucher# 13*** (Kelly Mill Roadshow) 2/27/2019 $ 205.12
- Bus ID# 52*** (Longleaf’s Roadshow) 3/30/2019 $ 240.11
- Substitutes $1500
What was your total program enrollment during the prior school year?
What is your projected program enrollment for the current school year?
New or recurring project?Recurring
How did you update/change this project from its previous occurrence?
New for 2019 Elementary Roadshow Visits
“There are some new changes/additions that have been made to hopefully improve the experience for us, our students, and the incoming students we will see next year in our schools.
1. No More Paper Brochures!
All parents/guardians of rising 5th-grade students will be expected to sign up online. Each school will be given 25 paper copies of the brochure (Only for those families who truly cannot gain access to the online form. Elementary teachers can copy extras if they need to).
To access the online form, go to richland2.org, click on Explore, I’m a Richland Two…Student or Parent, and the Middle School Music Form link is on the right side of your screen. Dr. Campbell is working to get this online form on each of the schools’ websites and in their newsletters.
All online registrations (and any paper brochures that are completed) must be submitted by March 31 (default date we always use, regardless of where it falls on the calendar). I will periodically share the spreadsheet data with you, so you can share it with your music colleagues and guidance departments.”
Currently, the Roadshow Committee has a meeting scheduled to make improvements for the 202019-2020 school year.
Challenges/obstacles that were encountered
Measurement of the success/effectiveness of this project?
Advice for someone looking to replicate this project in their own community?
- Make sure to get an eclectic committee–general education teachers, visual and performing arts teachers, students, and parents–to plan the Roadshow.
- Include familiar/pop tunes for relatability and student interests.
- Have clear communication with the administration at each school.
- Set the dates on the calendar a year in advance.
- Budget monies for bus transportation for those who are‚ “traveling”‚ with the Roadshow.
- Budget monies for substitute teachers for teachers traveling with the Roadshow.
- Use a feedback tool allowing for reflection and adjustments.