St. Francis Prep Music Recruiting
Over the years, we have developed a multi-faceted recruiting program that includes publicity and public relations and outreach programs, as well as curricular elements, such as our beginner program. In fact, one of the goals we set for our department when we became the first Music program ever accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, was enhanced publicity and public relations aimed at recruitment and audience development.
How do we get the good word out about what we do?
- *We perform constantly, either in school, or in the outside community.
- *We have an outreach program that includes a string, band, and percussion program at a local grammar school, and will be starting one in a second school this year.
- *We invite feeder school bands to perform at our concerts in side-by-sides with our students.
- *We host the Paul Effman New York Honor Band, so students can see our facilities and meet our students and teachers. Last year, 59 schools were represented, and there were roughly 400 student-musicians participating. (http://www.pemusic.com/assets/nyhb-web-info-2018.pdf)
- *We have an annual “Hallelujah Project,” where potential feeder choirs, and adult parish coirs perform the Hallelujah Chorus with our choir and band.
- *We have a professionally produced department video and brochure.
- *We utilize an extensive mailing list for Music educators, Music ministers, and private teachers. Our Open House and major concerts are all publicized with letters. We also include brochures and concert vouchers.
- *We speak directly to visiting priests and pastors when they attend services at our school (upwards of 20 priests and bishops).
- *We developed a partnership with the Aaron Copland School of Music that includes an open door policy for student observers coming to us, and ACSM faculty visiting us. We also had two faculty members present at ACSM’s
- *We regularly invite teaching artists such as Peter Loel Boonshaft and Susan Davis.
- *We have regular clinics and/or consortium opportunities with composers such as Brian Balmages.
- *One of our Music faculty members also serves as Co-Internal Coordinator for our Middle States accreditation (including our Program of Distinction of Music) AND Director of Publicity and Public Relations. In fact, earning the Program of Distinction necessitated we set long-term goals, which included a publicity and public relations component which is aimed at recruitment and audience development (https://www.msa-cess.org/default.aspx?RelID=1076081548).
- *We have our own Music department Instagram page (https://www.instagram.com/stfrancisprepmusic/?hl=en).
Specific Budget Breakdown
New or recurring project?Recurring
How did you update/change this project from its previous occurrence?
Measurement of the success/effectiveness of this project?
- Total School Enrollment
- Music Department Enrollment
- Differential (Difference between drop in overall enrollment and rise in Music Department Enrollment) Percentage of student body for specialized Music classes
- Introduction to Music enrollment
- Total Music enrollment including Introduction to Music and Music Lessons
Total Percentage of student body we teach
- That said, we currently teach 62% of our student body.
- The enrollment for our specialized Music classes has risen from 634 in 2011, to 839 in 2018.
- In all, accounting for our Introduction to Music classes we currently teach 1,199 students, which is up from 979 in 2011 (not including our Music Lesson program).